This past year has just disappeared. How does that happen?!
A year ago when we headed off to Southeast Asia for six weeks, we had no idea what the next year would hold. Those six weeks overseas were amazing but weren’t long enough for us, so we decided to head off to North America a few months later. This meant leaving our well-paying jobs that we had held for years, uprooting ourselves from our comfortable lives in New Zealand, and packing all that we would need for the foreseeable future into our backpacks.
It was scary taking that leap, but wow, we are so glad we did!
This little blog of ours
We created The Global Couple (then named We’ve Got The Bug) before heading to Southeast Asia in an effort to document our travels for our friends and family back home in New Zealand. The site has grown from a new-age travel journal to a place where we can showcase our stories, photos, and videos and provide tips for other travellers. It’s heart-warming to think of how far this site has come!
We have become more creative by learning so much about the inner workings of websites, improving our photography and video skills, learning about graphic design, and getting better at writing – things that we probably would never have done if it weren’t for this little blog. We know we still have a lot to work on and it’s a fun challenge! We’ve realised this is where our passion lies: sharing our travel experiences with others.
What else we have learned…
We have learned that we do not need ‘things’ to make us happy. We are happy with only 55L of stuff in our backpacks, as long as it means we can go exploring, wandering, tasting, and learning in new places.
We have learned that we prefer to be on the move rather than living somewhere – this surprised us as we thought we would be happy living anywhere so long as it was away from home.
We have learned to live in the moment and to be grateful for where we are.
We have learned to take risks for they might lead to new opportunities.
We have learned to be strong, brave, and to never give up – this is especially important when you are away from your home support network.
So thanks to you, our readers, for coming on the first year of our journey with us! And we are by no means finished yet…
The past year
So to sum up the past year, here are some of the craziest things we have done:
- Climbed temples in Bagan, Myanmar
- Slept on the floor of local farmhouses while trekking in the hills of Myanmar
- Eaten insects in Koh Samui, Thailand
- Gotten engaged!
- Gotten our dive certifications in Koh Tao, Thailand
- Experienced Hong Kong’s overcrowded madness
- Left our stable incomes and support network in New Zealand to travel full time
- Explored New York City and flown over the city in a helicopter
- Slept on the street in Manhattan in our campervan
- Lived in the Hamptons, NY
- Camped around America’s northeast (while keeping clear of bears)
- Released baby turtles into the ocean in Cozumel, Mexico
- Set up life in Vancouver, Canada
- Bungy jumped backwards off a bridge in Whistler, Canada
Countries visited: 7 (including New Zealand)
New countries visited: 4
Continents visited: 3
Plane rides: 8 (not including layovers)
Kilometres flown: 44,632 km
Here’s to the next year – more adventures, more memories, more moments.