We wrote about our first two Liebster Award nominations not so long ago, and it was so funny because we received our third nomination the very same day we published the post about the first two! So thanks to Alexandria at A Modern Girl’s Travels, you get to find out more juicy details about us and our blog.
How did you decide on the title of your blog, and what’s it about?
It was pretty simple really. We wanted something that made it obvious that our blog is a travel blog (hence Global), and that we travel and blog together (hence Couple). Unfortunately we didn’t think to Google our domain name without the ‘the’ before we bought the name and started our blog… we’ve had a few people come to us and ask why we have a name similar to a somewhat ‘undesirable’ website! Whoops…
Where does your blogging inspiration come from?
We’ve been on many trips around New Zealand and overseas during our 8.5 year relationship. We derive inspiration from our past shorter trips, as well as when we were living overseas in 2014. We love doing weekend trips around New Zealand now that we’re back home, so look out for more NZ content to come on the blog!
Can you give 11 random facts about yourself?
- We planned our wedding in a week and it was the most perfect day ever!
- Petra loves fluffy toys and even travels with a couple of them
- We would love to do the 16,000 km Mongol Rally one day
- Shaun loves candy, especially Haribo gummy bears and cola bottles
- We once got scammed by the police in Bali, Indonesia
- Shaun has a tattoo of New Zealand on his shoulder
- Petra hates fresh tomatoes but doesn’t mind eating cooked ones and sauces
- We once rented a red muscle car and did an American road trip
- We love visiting farmers markets and trying local food
- We learned to SCUBA dive in Koh Tao, Thailand
- Shaun cooks a mean steak
What is something you’ve been loving lately?
Checking out new restaurants in our home city of Auckland. Many sprung up during the ten months we were living overseas and we are loving feasting our way around the city. Our new favourite is Woodpecker Hill in Parnell – amazing Southeast Asian-style food combined with American BBQ – think red curry with burnt brisket ends… yum…
What direction would you like to see your blog go?
We’d love for the blog to support some of our travel – whether that be through cold hard cash from advertising/affiliate sales or sponsored stays and activities. It’s hard but we feel we are getting there slowly!
If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
- To live a happy and healthy life surrounded by friends and family
- To explore our amazing world slowly but surely
- To advocate for environmental protection in the world’s most vulnerable areas
What is one country in the world you would like to visit? Why?
India – we’ve done a bit of travel in Southeast Asia and we now think we’re ready to tackle the more intense and chaotic country of India. We love a good challenge and India looks incredible!
What goal are you currently working towards in your life?
We would love to have some self-generated income that can support our travels – whether it’s from the blog or some other online business that we get going.
A long-lost relative leaves you a large sum of money. What do you do with it?
Put it in the bank and go travelling off the interest – although I guess it depends how large the sum of money is…
What is something you do when you need to take time for yourself?
Read a book or go for a walk.
Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Good question – absolutely no idea. Our future is rather uncertain at the moment so we can’t really make any plans right now!
We won’t nominate anyone this time seeing as we nominated others for the Liebster Award just a few weeks ago. Hope you enjoyed learning more about us!
. . .